fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, October 27, 2017

Some Friday Finishes

I sew. A lot. But I also like to crochet. I do not knit, but my daughter does. In fact, my first finish is an afghan she knit for me.
 I had bought her a kit for this from Knit Picks about 4 years ago for Christmas. She knit it up and then, I liked it so well, she bought the yarn to make another for me as a Christmas gift. It was all done except the crocheted edge when I went to visit her in August, so I offered to bring it home and crochet the black edge. And now its done. Beautiful.
 This second afghan I crocheted. I began it in 2014 right after I was diagnosed with cancer. I thought I could work on it while I underwent treatment. The pattern is from Lucy at Attic 24 blog. It's called Neat Ripple. It was easy to get started, but hard to keep going and finish. I used Blue Sky cotton yarn.
It's a bit heavier than some other yarns, but I love it and now it is finished too. Hope it cools off soon so we can use them.
My other  finishes for this week are sewing finishes. First, I finished piecing the Cobblestone quilt for my queen size bed.
 I used mostly Improv fabrics by Amy Friend. I love the colors and the basic patterns. I added a couple of other fabrics to the mix just to fill it out.
 It went together pretty quickly, and now I just have to find a backing and figure out how to quilt the thing. There is lots of wide open space here, and I am thinking something with curves.
 Then there is this little cutie. This is the Lucy Tunic by Shwin Designs. This is such a cute pattern and so easy to make. It probably took me about 4 hours to stitch it up. It is designed to be worn over a pair of pants, or shorts, or leggings. You could even pair it with a skirt or dress. Add a long sleeve tee shirt and there you go!
 It criss crosses in the front and is awaiting two button holes and buttons. The cap sleeves have two tiny pleats which help it be eased in, but also add a bit of style to it.
 This is the inside. You can make this as a lined tunic, or you can make it reversible. I am choosing reversible, because two for one? yes please! Also, one thing you can't see is the pockets in the side seams. On both sides and for both fabrics so even if you turn it inside out, you have pockets!
I think Miss N will look sassy in this. She already has a pair of navy leggings and a navy long sleeved tee shirt. Got one more of these in the works too. Next week another big box of goodies is going out, this time to my middle daughter. Once she gets it I will share everything here. Have a great weekend! Linking up with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts.

3 comments:

Karen S said...

You have been busy again. The knitted afghan looks great, especially finished with the black crochet.
And the neat ripple looks wonderful too. I do like her patterns.
The little tunic is gorgeous. I am tempted to make that for my grandie.
I look forward to seeing what you have parceled up this time.

grammajudyb said...

Your crocheted afghan is really pretty. Did you find it difficult to work on while in "treatment"? I found it hard to stay focused on stitching or even reading during chemo. Great job on the tunic. Can't wait til my great granddaughters are a bit bigger,so I can sew for them.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I just love your finishes. I knit and crochet and have done three of Attic 24 afghans. My mother who is 83 has made 13! Also love your tunic...a coincidence that I posted about sewing clothes just today. Yours looks so professional. Sigh!